Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Jeopardy/Wheel opposite each other?  (Read 4774 times)

spb1962

Jeopardy/Wheel opposite each other?
« on: May 13, 2011, 10:12:46 PM »
Has Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune now or ever have aired opposite each other on different stations at the same time?  There is one known "Yes" and would like to know if there are other examples.

In Omaha, Nebraska from September 1984 to June 1986, KMTV 3 (NBC) aired Wheel at 6:00pm and KETV 7 (ABC) aired Jeopardy! also at 6:00pm.  When KMTV switched to CBS in June 1986, they added a 6:00pm newscast and moved Wheel to 6:30pm.  Both shows have aired at different times since.

catkins522

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 12:31:33 AM »
Has Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune now or ever have aired opposite each other on different stations at the same time?  There is one known "Yes" and would like to know if there are other examples.

In Omaha, Nebraska from September 1984 to June 1986, KMTV 3 (NBC) aired Wheel at 6:00pm and KETV 7 (ABC) aired Jeopardy! also at 6:00pm.  When KMTV switched to CBS in June 1986, they added a 6:00pm newscast and moved Wheel to 6:30pm.  Both shows have aired at different times since.

Now, no.  Many years ago, CBS/Sony had put some clause saying one show would not compete with another.  It is just like Oprah, Dr. Oz, Dr. Phil, Rachael Ray and Nathan Berk(sp?).  When Oprah is on, another station can not put another Harpo show at the same time.

Charles Atkins
-----------

Bigger and better....in HD!!!!

davemackey

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 08:17:32 AM »

Block booking is supposedly illegal but CBS and its predecessor King World always seem to have "packaged" their game show properties for one station in each market...

spb1962

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 02:53:55 PM »
During their syndicated runs in Omaha, Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune have almost always aired on different stations.  An exception was 1986 to 1994 when both Jeopardy! and Wheel aired on KMTV 3.  Today, Jeopardy! airs on WOWT 6 at 4:30pm and Wheel airs on KETV 7 at 6:30pm.

gameshowcrazy

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 05:20:33 PM »
[/quote]
Block booking is supposedly illegal but CBS and its predecessor King World always seem to have "packaged" their game show properties for one station in each market...
[/quote]

Just curious--if block booking is illegal, does that mean a producer of game shows wouldn't be able to sell a one-hour show consisting of two separate games?

Before anyone says Match Game/Hollywood Squares, those games at least intertwined a little, but really, my thoughts for a few years have been a producer should sell two shows at once in syndication--my thought being to update a classic so there is a built-in audience while introducing a new game in the next half hour.

Bobby B.

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 05:25:09 PM »
This is a little different, but for a little while here in south Georgia we had Jeopardy (but not Wheel) on two different stations.  WALB (NBC) showed it at 11:30 AM, while WCTV (CBS) showed it at 7:30 PM, after Wheel at 7.  WALB is an Albany, GA station and WCTV is out of Tallahassee, so they're in two different markets, but most people in the area could pick up both.  One could watch the morning airing, memorize the answers/questions, and play a good joke on someone who didn't know it aired in the morning.

clemon79

• Director of Suck Consolidation
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 05:30:39 PM »
Before anyone says Match Game/Hollywood Squares, those games at least intertwined a little
More to the point, they were literally one single hour-long show.
Chris Lemon, King Fool, Director of Suck Consolidation
http://fredsmythe.com
Email: clemon79@outlook.com  |  Skype: FredSmythe

golden-road

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 08:09:39 PM »
This is a little different, but for a little while here in south Georgia we had Jeopardy (but not Wheel) on two different stations.  WALB (NBC) showed it at 11:30 AM, while WCTV (CBS) showed it at 7:30 PM, after Wheel at 7.  WALB is an Albany, GA station and WCTV is out of Tallahassee, so they're in two different markets, but most people in the area could pick up both.  One could watch the morning airing, memorize the answers/questions, and play a good joke on someone who didn't know it aired in the morning.

There is something similar in New York. WLNY Long Island airs Jeopardy/Wheel at 5. WABC New York airs them at 7.

Tony Peters

• Here is your first subject. GO!
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 10:10:57 PM »
I do remember about 3 years ago (and I stated such around that time here) that in Birmingham, the 2 shows did air opposite each other.  However, since September 2009, WIAT "CBS 42" swapped Jeopardy! with Entertainment Tonight, so now Jeopardy! airs at 4:30 PM, rather than 6:30 PM against Wheel on WBMA/WCFT/WJSU "ABC 33/40".
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 10:13:48 PM by Tony Peters »
Sometimes I find myself missing the days when cats ruled the internet...

wxfrcaster

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 11:25:37 AM »
In general the syndicators won't allow you to air some of their shows opposite others.  For example, in most places you won't see Dr. Oz or Dr. Phil competing against Oprah.  And they can "hold you hostage" as well.  Back in the 90s, King World would make stations pick up American Journal (and subsequently Hollywood Squares) in order to keep a Wheel/Jeopardy/Oprah contract.  It kept our station from producing a 5:30 pm newscast for several years.  But there is only so much time in the day, and there are occasionally exceptions to the rule.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 11:26:09 AM by wxfrcaster »

Jimmy Owen

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 12:14:30 PM »
In general the syndicators won't allow you to air some of their shows opposite others.  For example, in most places you won't see Dr. Oz or Dr. Phil competing against Oprah.  And they can "hold you hostage" as well.  Back in the 90s, King World would make stations pick up American Journal (and subsequently Hollywood Squares) in order to keep a Wheel/Jeopardy/Oprah contract.  It kept our station from producing a 5:30 pm newscast for several years.  But there is only so much time in the day, and there are occasionally exceptions to the rule.
Did anybody notice how your WOF/J! station just happened to pick up reruns of G-T's "Branded," "Guns of Will Sonnett," "Topper" and old East Side Kids/Charlie Chan/Mr. Moto movies for overnight airing in the late '80s?  Wouldn't have anything to do with KW being the syndicator, would it?  Naaaw..
Let's Make a Deal was the first show to air on Buzzr. 6/1/15 8PM.

wxfrcaster

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 12:37:15 PM »
Did anybody notice how your WOF/J! station just happened to pick up reruns of G-T's "Branded," "Guns of Will Sonnett," "Topper" and old East Side Kids/Charlie Chan/Mr. Moto movies for overnight airing in the late '80s?  Wouldn't have anything to do with KW being the syndicator, would it?  Naaaw..

Nooooo, not at all.  ;)  In fact, it makes sense now - about the time "Squares" went to the competition and we finally got a 5:30 newscast, we were running "Guns" again in late night.  The tapes were STILL in the back storage area until a few years ago.  And this was 2001 - we debuted the newscast September 10, 2001...

Jay Temple

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 01:02:05 PM »
Nooooo, not at all.  ;)  In fact, it makes sense now - about the time "Squares" went to the competition and we finally got a 5:30 newscast, we were running "Guns" again in late night.  The tapes were STILL in the back storage area until a few years ago.  And this was 2001 - we debuted the newscast September 10, 2001...
(spit-take, because they don't have a "gasp" icon) And did you have any major stories that first week?
Protecting idiots from themselves just leads to more idiots.

bwood

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 01:12:35 PM »
I can remember at one time in my area WHIZ (Zanesville, OH) and WBNS (Columbus, OH) aired Wheel/Jeopardy at opposite times when I was younger. The stations aren't in the same city, but were both on our cable system. WBNS aired Jeopardy! at 7pm and Wheel at 7:30 while WHIZ aired Wheel at 7 and J! at 7:30. I believe it was like this from the mid-90's to just a few years ago when WHIZ dropped (or was forced to drop?) Wheel/J! for Access Hollywood/Millionaire.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 01:13:51 PM by bwood »

gameshowcrazy

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 06:04:02 PM »
I can remember at one time in my area WHIZ (Zanesville, OH) and WBNS (Columbus, OH) aired Wheel/Jeopardy at opposite times when I was younger. The stations aren't in the same city, but were both on our cable system. WBNS aired Jeopardy! at 7pm and Wheel at 7:30 while WHIZ aired Wheel at 7 and J! at 7:30. I believe it was like this from the mid-90's to just a few years ago when WHIZ dropped (or was forced to drop?) Wheel/J! for Access Hollywood/Millionaire.

I get both Philadelphia and Scranton, PA stations, and WOF and J! are opposite each other at 7pm and at 730pm.  I always watch the Scranton broadcast because of the need Philadelphia stations have of showing breaking news (wow, someone found a penny heads up!--EXCLUSIVE!!!!) and Jeopardy is CONSTANTLY ruined.